Between Hyde Park and the Natural History Museum in West London. Illuminate is a five minute walk from South Kensington Tube Station with swift connections to central London and Heathrow Airport via the District, Circle and Piccadilly Lines.
What's on offer
Two large ‘blank canvas’ rooms on Floors 4 and 5 capable of holding 400 delegates for conferences and dinners. Ideal for product launches, exhibitions and large events. Excellent in-house AV Partners and space which features the latest in production equipment supported by knowledgeable proactive staff. Creative menus for all events complete the picture.
Illuminate brings something new, fresh and vibrant to the capitals event scene. Ideally located in London, the flexibility of the cleverly designed space over two floors gives many and varied options for a range of different events. The only limiting factor? Creative thought. Shiny new and run by people who have a real customer service ethos, a site visit quickly shows why Illuminate will soon have a problem – lack of availability. Our advice book before others do.
STARTER FOR 10:
The Science Museum is a British Institution. An exciting world of discovery for young and old alike, attracting over 3 million people a year. As a child you never ever forget seeing Stephenson’s Rocket, the first jet engine or the Apollo 10 command module! But now there’s a new attraction, Illuminate – a stunning 1,100 sqm multi-functional event space.
Formally the Science Museum’s medical gallery, this exciting addition to the London event scene opened in March 2019 in response to ever increasing demand for a dedicated large and flexible venue which was available throughout the day. Designed by Mary Duggan, Illuminate really does fulfil her wish that guests and delegates: “feel the spirit of creation and discovery that the Science Museum showcases.”
Essentially there are two large event spaces on the fourth and fifth levels which lend themselves perfectly to exclusive hire. Level 5, with a maximum capacity of 400 delegates theatre and 270 cabaret style, offers stunning views over London towards the Shard and the London Eye. The panoramic windows and exposed framework of the building allows light to flood in – so important for any positive meeting experience. One floor down and Level 4 offers a contrasting night and day experience with a blacked out space, ideal for hosting large scale productions for up to 330 guests/delegates theatre style.
Illuminate genuinely offers unique space, which will pretty much accommodate any type of event from award ceremony, conference or AGM through to exhibition, product launche and receptions. Plus, when you combine Illuminate with the 13 galleries within the Science Museum, it opens up an even wider range of other opportunities and completely different changes of scene.
Streamlined event packages keep things simple for bookers. They’re easy to manage and are cost effective for event organisers thanks to exclusive partnerships with caterers Moving Venue and AV specialists White Light. More on this later. So just what makes Illuminate so special and worthy of adding to your shortlist of event venues?
WHY SO SPECIAL?
Flexible Event Space
Illuminate’s space is totally flexible, giving a raft of creative opportunities and possibilities. Levels 4 and 5 can both accommodate large scale conferences and events, so which to choose? Well the choice really depends on what you are to trying to achieve, the content of the event and even what time of day its actually taking place.
Level 4 is a big black box with blank canvas walls perfect for company logos and branded graphics. The totally blacked out space is the ideal home for the latest in LED lighting and production technology. Delegates and guests are quickly immersed in the content, launch or brand experience – thanks to lack of distractions!
Take the lift or the impressive steel staircase up one floor and the transition is impressive. Dark to light – black to white, with bright daylight flooding through the large panoramic windows, giving an altogether different feel. Level 5 is essentially a large “white box”, with really clever design allowing space to be partitioned using scarcely visible fabric dividing curtains, to create zone areas for break outs or seminars. Alternatively, draw the curtains if you’re holding a smaller event to produce a cosier event feel. But you won’t want to cover the amazing London skyline at night as the twinkling lights from nearby Harrods provides the perfect backdrop for an evening reception or gala dinner.
Whatever you do and whichever Level you select, Illuminate is perfect for an exclusive hire which really is one of its key strengths. Room formats can be changed at the drop of a hat thanks to the close storage locations for tables and chairs. The delegate flow around the building is carefully thought through and dedicated lifts guarantee speedy arrivals and departures without a queue.
The latest in-house Audio Visual Equipment & Production Technology
White Light have been providing award winning– technical solutions for conferences and events for over 45 years. They’ve a long-standing relationship with the Science Museum and are llluminate’s preferred partner for all things AV. You can bring in your own supporting event producers, but serious consideration should be given to using White Light in entirety as they’re right on their game from not only a technical point of view but because of their knowledgeable staff as well. You’ll have to go a long way to find a better, more enthusiastic Technical Manager than Sirus Fernandes. Sirus is a real ball of energy, passionate about his work and with the refreshing ability to offer up a range of creative ideas which he and his team the deliver on. Impressive.
Like the framework of the event space, the integrated audio visual and technical system has also been designed with flexibility in mind, with both event levels offering a complete solution:
- Twin 3m 16:9 edgeless projection screens can be positioned in multiple locations and together with two 13,000 Lumen laser projectors provide unparalleled colour reproduction.
- 84” LCD Screens are available on custom built stands – perfect for smaller breakouts or as relay monitors taking live conference/event feeds around the building.
- LED walls in the entrance lobby are great for branding and visual playback, creating an immediate impact for guests on arrival.
- Integrated LED lighting provides atmospheric colour options and dramatic lighting looks which are bespoke for each event.
- A dedicated inhouse web streaming engine with broadcast quality remote control cameras is a real asset for direct streaming on to social media platforms for those that can’t be there in person.
- Power sockets are everywhere!
High quality food – breakfast, lunch and dinner
Illuminate have partnered exclusively with catering company Moving Venue to deliver really imaginative menus coupled with service excellence. Founded in 1984, Moving Venue use local, seasonal produce and mix modern techniques with an “international influence”. Importantly their team really do understand the quirks and characteristics of a range of different events. It’s this experience, that ensures that what was ordered at the initial event planning meeting is then delivered on the day. And thanks to some real forethought in the building design behind the scenes, a brand new and very large interconnecting kitchen has direct access to the event areas, crucial for speed of food delivery and quick response times.
One thing’s for sure, guests certainly won’t go hungry!
For Day Delegates on a conference package, it starts as soon as you arrive with a great selection of breakfast delights including Danish pastries, fresh fruit salad pots and gluten free granola options, topped with Greek Yogurt and fresh berries. You could have problems getting delegates to return to their seats after morning and afternoon breaks which include kiwi and pineapple fruit skewers and frosted carrot cake. Buffet lunch menus are all loving prepared with an extensive selection of five menus all of which cater for every dietary requirement in an impressive flexitarian feast. Enjoy Navarin of Cornish lamb, with white wine and tomatoes served with rosemary dumplings, honey glazed carrots and parsnips. Or Miso roasted cod fillet, tarragon crumble, stir fried vegetables, served with steamed wholegrain rice. As for dinner, the quality of the lovingly prepared dishes easily rivals the conference and banqueting teams in nearby 5 star hotels. So, if it’s a gala dinner for VIPs or an Industry Awards evening where everything has to be just right, the good news is your in safe hands.
GOOD TO KNOW!
- You won’t have any problem getting to Floors 4 and 5 thanks to accessible private lifts which are dedicated specifically for client events.
- Not content with the great event space at Illuminate? Then check out the 13 different Science Museum themed gallery’s which can be hired alongside, including the magnificent Making the Modern World Gallery and the contemporary Wellcome Wing, with its dramatic architecture and striking blue light. Or choose Making the Modern World as a stunning backdrop for dinners or Exploring Space for out-of-this-world receptions!
- Don’t forget for those powerful presentations, The Wellcome Wing in the Science Museum houses a state-of-the-art IMAX Cinema, with 400 person raked auditorium capacity.
- You can keep in touch at all times with what’s going on at your event thanks to video and audio feeds which relay real time feeds around the building.
- By holding your event at Illuminate, you’ll be doing your bit to support The Science Museum. As a charity, all funds are ploughed back into the maintenance and upkeep of all those amazing exhibits.
BEAR IN MIND…
- There is a minimum contracted number of 200 for Day Delegate Packages (DDR).
- Illuminate’s standard sales policy is to typically accept bookings which use both floors on an exclusive hire basis. However, it is possible at certain times of the year and often within a couple of weeks of an event date for special hire arrangements to be made for one of the Floors, subject to availability.
- Floors 4 and 5 are two large event areas. It is possible to “break out” from a larger plenary session to a number of smaller group sessions, but there aren’t any dedicated seminar rooms with traditional solid walls. Therefore, if a lot of noise is likely to be made by delegates or there are “sensitive” discussion points, consideration will need to be made as to the suitability of the draped partitioned areas.
- Illuminate is an event space without attached hotel bedrooms. The good news is there are hundreds of hotel bedrooms in close proximity including the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum which is just a ten–minute walk away.
- The food and drink range as part of the standard Day Delegate Room is excellent, but if you fancy pushing the boat out a little, why not pay a small supplement for a wonderful Energy Smoothie of orange, mango, passion fruit, lime and ginger. Or start the day off with scrambled or poached eggs served on sourdough toast with a selection of avocado, smoked salmon, crisp bacon, roasted mushrooms, micro cresses, sweet cherry tomatoes and sweet potato and corn hash.
- Wanting delegates to take a little present or memento home? Don’t forget event attendees get discounts in the great Science Museum shops.
- With current conference and event sales enquiries for Illuminate running at over a 100 a week, do plan your event early as word is getting out that there’s a great new venue in town.
IT’S A WRAP – SERVICE IS THE SECRET
It’s only a few short weeks since Illuminate broke on to the London Conference and Event scene. But already the onsite team are getting great feedback for the service they offer. Sure, the event space is special, the AV and event technology right up there and the food really good. But the early success has also been down to a bespoke personal approach adopted for each client to help create unique stand-out events. Illuminate is certainly a professional, well-oiled venue with seamless links between the in-house event and operations teams and key partners Moving Venue and White Light.