Close to Sheffield and Rotherham in South Yorkshire. Minutes from Junction 34 of the M1 (Meadowhall). Excellent tram and train connections.
What's on offer
An iconic former steel works that offers a blank heritage canvas of amazing event space opportunities from conferences and exhibitions through to product launches and awards dinners. The space is big but there’s also a range of smaller meeting and training rooms that offer great value for those on Day Delegate Rates. Check out the highest indoor bungee jump in the world or if you want an amazing Christmas Party venue that includes a lot in the ticket price, Magna is for you.
Massive heritage space, that will speak volumes about your organisation to your clients, delegates and guests who’ll be blown away by the size and scale. Something completely original – a little off the wall and certainly different to your standard hotel venue. Ideal for event and production company creatives. And with the excellent support from helpful and supportive Magna staff, your event will support the Magna Science Adventure Centre, a totally self-funded charity whose mission is to educate future generations about heritage through science and technology.
STARTER FOR 10:
Magna was buzzing! There were people everywhere. Coaches arriving every few minutes dropping off excited young people. They were there to visit GUTS (Get Up To Speed) the North of England’s largest careers exhibitions connecting science, technology and engineering giants such as Rolls Royce, Boeing and McLaren with the next generation workforce. And excited is how you’ll feel as you arrive, look up and take in the sheer size and scale of this massive former steelworks which is truly an awe inspiring venue.
Magna the venue opened in 2002 and is an integral part of Magna the Science Adventure Centre. The huge conference and events space is one of the largest in the region with some pretty impressive numbers! The monumental Big Hall lives up to its name at 2,000m2, measuring 93m x 22m and 10m high. You can fit in a whopping 1,000 guests for dinner, 3,500 delegates seated theatre style or 5,000 people standing. No wonder Magna (which has just celebrated taking their 10,000th event booking) is in serious demand from a wide range of household names for everything from awards dinners through to sporting events, exhibitions and concerts.
But don’t run away with the idea that Magna is just for big shows. Far from it. The Phoenix Rooms are perfect for smaller meetings from 60-150 people. Or there’s the Red Hall with its’ amazing red light wall feature guaranteed to give the wow factor for a reception/dinner for up to 200 guests. And don’t forget to check out a room called ‘Fuel’ which is a fun, glass-fronted terrace, perfect as a VIP area or area to hold a small product launch.
Magna’s even got something for thrill seekers and dare devils with the World’s highest indoor Bungee Jump! The Abyss is set in semi darkness, complete with music, video screens, dry ice and effect lighting! For a real adrenalin experience, why not mix it up with two other exhilarating activities and fly down the Zip Wire or Abseil down the side of the building – a great triple whammy package.
Ultimately Magna knows exactly what it is from an event venue perspective. If you’re searching for a high end traditional five star hotel this is clearly not the place for you. But if different, awe inspiring and original is a pre-requisite, the winner of the 2018 CHS Award for Best Unusual Event Space will be right up your street offering ‘one venue and limitless possibilities.’
WHY SO SPECIAL?
Unique Heritage Venue
Your imagination will run wild as soon as you step foot inside Magna. This steelworks was once the largest electric melting shop in the world and you can literally feel and smell the history of the site which stretches way back to Roman times. Rotherham and Sheffield were built on steel and at its industrial height, 10,000 people were employed here producing two million tons of steel a year from 14 open-hearth furnaces belching out smoke through 14 grimy chimneys.
Magna shouts Yorkshire grit, strength and determination. There are so many metaphorical links with events that are held there that delegates cannot fail to be impressed. The unique venue is a real talking point and will certainly live long in the memory helping to remind attendees of the key messages for years to come.
Event Versatility, Technical Flexibility – A Venue for ALL
Just like steel, Magna’s facilities and staff are truly flexible. If it’s possible, the staff will move heaven and earth to make it happen. Over the years, the huge ‘blank canvas’ has hosted so many different events it’s hard to keep track. From luxurious banquets, blue chip AGMs, exhibitions, product launches, dance and beer festivals, client fun fairs and even an indoor golf driving range for team building.
Charities have held large themed award dinners including Willy Wonka and Harry Potter nights. Six hundred fitness enthusiasts took over the Big Hall for a week long workout masterclass with worldwide exercise phenomenon Les Mills. And every May the whole of MAGNA is completely transformed for HorrorConUK, the UK’s biggest horror convention. Countless products have been launched including the world exclusive unveiling of Kia’s Stonic range to their customer facing sales team. Sporting events include televised Darts tournaments, Tae Kwan Do competitions and regular boxing nights for England Boxing.
Magna’s impressive client list is diverse and varied. Sure, there are as you’d expect big corporates who have held events such as Aldi, Ford and Sainsbury’s, but then there’s public sector organisations like the NHS and Network Rail, not forgetting academic institutions like Sheffield University. They’re clients because magna offers good value and a product which is flexible in it’s offering. Take the Big Hall which at 2000m is a big space. It can be transformed into two or three separate event areas for exhibitions, catering and conference plenary by simply splitting the room using the in-house drapes. Inhouse lighting trusses can be augmented with additional equipment and by the introduction of tiered seating and relay screens, the blank canvas space quickly turns into useable event space.
Next door, the ‘Face of Steel’ with its built in multi-media screens is tailormade for receptions or product launches and with its cavernous space you can easily get big vehicles or large items of equipment inside, the framework of the steel foundry providing a distinctive and altogether different backdrop.
Having a knowledgeable onsite event management, technical and catering team you can rely on is critical when holding a major event. It’s even more important when you have a giant venue such as Magna which is different from the norm and can hold so many different event variations. Fear not, Magna has the people to make any event a success with Yorkshire hospitality and humour guaranteed. Event Coordinators and Managers will guide you through the event process from start to finish. The Magna technical team have seen it all quite literally and will dovetail perfectly with any outside third party production organisation that is being used to create the complete look and feel. And then don’t forget the onsite catering team. Magna regularly hold major gala dinners, award ceremonies and have legendary Christmas parties where thousands of people attend. This is an area which very much relies on excellent in-house staff to create sumptuous buffet lunches an afternoon fruit boost for a training day or a showstopper five course meal for over 1000 guests.
It’s perhaps easy to think big venue, big prices. But you would be wrong. Magna offers some startlingly good value Day Delegate Rates for the small rooms (excluding Big Hall) for 20-150 delegates. Take their Spring offer which runs, subject to availability through until 30 June 2019. For just £19.95 + VAT the Day Delegate Rate (DDR) includes room hire, projector, three servings of tea and coffee with home baked cookies. Throw in a light lunch, free carparking and event stationery and this is an excellent offer!
GOOD TO KNOW!
- Magna Science Adventure Centre is a totally self-funded charity and one of only two remaining Millennium projects which has a mission to educate future generations about heritage through science, technology and engineering. Every penny of profit generated from events held in Magna is used to fund the daily running and upkeep of the science centre. Booking Magna means you’ll be doing your bit
- The M1 Motorway, Junction 34 is so close to Magna it makes it very easy indeed to get there. Delegates can also arrive by train after a short cab or tram ride from the centre of the city. And a real big plus is the free car parking for up to 400 car parking spaces
- You can’t get much better than Magna for excellent site set up and derig access. Exhibitors can drive to doors just outside the main halls/rooms and production teams arriving with flight cases, technical equipment and staging will be thankful for the ease at which they can get in and out
- Should you be looking to hold an exhibition at Magna, consider using UK Exhibition Shell Booth Hire who are a local company offering competitive rates.
BEAR IN MIND…
- Magna is a rustic, industrial venue with big space, tall ceilings and limited insulation in many of the rooms. You would be well advised, particularly in the winter months to tell delegates and guests to bring their coats as it can be a little chilly.
- Magna is not a hotel. Perhaps an obvious thing to state, but to be remembered in terms of the look and feel. Plus there are no bedrooms available within the complex. This isn’t particularly a problem for many as Sheffield has a number of hotels close by in Sheffield/Rotherham, but transfers will need to be factored in if holding a two day event.
- Whilst particularly in the smaller rooms there are projection facilities and the larger Rooms do have some basic PA and lighting systems, many events will need to supplement from either their own production partners or suppliers recommended by Magna
- The floor in some of the larger event spaces is made out of concrete and some of the carpet in the Main Hall has perhaps seen better days. Worth thinking about depending on the audience and type of event.
- There is no natural light except near the Red Room.
- Ok, so the main purpose as we all know of going to Magna is to attend an event. But if you do get a window of spare time, don’t forget that the ever popular Meadow Hall Shopping Centre is just down the road. It’s definitely worth a visit!
- Magna does Christmas very well indeed. Take over the entire building if you’ve got a lot of colleagues or come as part of the joiner party deal. Everything is included in the ticket including access to the dodgems, fairground rides and disco.
- Looking for a really different wedding venue? Well Magna does weddings as well. Contact them directly to make it a really special day.
IT’S A WRAP – SERVICE IS THE SECRET
There’s no getting away from it. Magna is big and very, very different. And if a heritage venue which will create a big wow from delegates and guests is what you want, then you won’t be disappointed. Help is there from the Events Team every step of the way, so don’t discount from your venue shortlist simply because Magna might initially appear a bit daunting to hold an event at. It’s testament to the quality of delivery that clients keep coming back year after year and its comforting to know that some of the UK’s most famous brands have hired Magna for their special event. Nothing will prepare you online for you what you’ll experience first-hand, so our advice is to contact the very helpful Emma Pritchard to arrange your site visit NOW. Click on the video link below to find out more: