Thanks to Chef Jamele from the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum for her great Crab Curry Recipe! You can make it yourself or enjoy it at one of thefantastic Caribbean Nights held at the hotel throughout 2019
2 kg Blue Crabs
500g plain flour (for Dumplings)
5 tbsp Curry powder
3 tbsp amchar masala
1 tin of coconut milk
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
1 sprig of thyme (finely chopped)
1 scotch bonnet pepper
4 tbsp Green seasoning
5 tsp seafood seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
Green seasoning recipe
500g bunch thyme
500g bunch spring onion
500g chadon beni or coriander
50g bay leaves
50ml distilled vinegar
2 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
(put in blender and blend until you a paste consistency)
- Wash crabs with lemon and salt
- Drain off water and season crabs with 4 tbs green seasoning and salt to taste.
- Get a medium sized saucepan put on medium heat.
- Add 2tbs oil and add onions, curry powder, amchar masala, thyme and fry until onions are translucent.
- Add coconut milk and leave to simmer.
- In a bowl add plain flour and add a pinch of salt and sugar, add 50ml water to flour and mix
- Knead together until dough is smooth but firm and rest for 5 mins
- Once rested empty dumpling mix onto floured surface and divide into small balls (size optional) and flatten place your flattened dumplings in curry sauce.
- Stir sauce as the dumplings are added, your sauce should start to thicken place your scotch bonnet in the sauce and cover simmer for 10 mins on low heat.
- Now add your seasoned Crabs and add your seafood seasoning, stir and leave to simmer for 20 mins.