Woburn House Head Chef Ivan Ward and his team love preparing creative and interesting food for their many delegates. With 20 years in the industry, Ivan trained at The Savoy before travelling all over the World onboard prestigious cruise ships where he developed his flair for international cuisine. One of the most popular dishes served at the venue is Katsu Curry and thanks to Ivan you can now make it yourself.
For the Curry Sauce
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3 onions small dice
- 5 garlic chopped
- 4 medium carrots small dice
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 800ml chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 6 teaspoons sweet soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoon garam masala
For the Breaded Chicken
- 4 chicken breast fillets (butterflied)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 300g panko breadcrumbs
- 300ml vegetable oil for frying
Prep: 20min Cook 30min Ready in 45min
- Heat oil in medium non-stick saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in carrots and cook over low heat for 12 minutes.
- Add flour and curry powder; cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock until combined; add honey, soy sauce and bay leaf. Slowly bring to the boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens but is still of pouring consistency. Stir in garam masala. Pour the curry sauce through a sieve.
- For the chicken: Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls and arrange in a row. Coat the chicken breasts in flour, then dip them into the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Place chicken into hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 3 or 4 minutes each side.
- Pour curry sauce over chicken, serve with white steamed rice